Want to eat your breakfast instead of sipping it via a straw? A yogurt parfait with mixed berries offers great nutritional benefits for Crohn’s sufferers – and it’s very filling.
You can make a parfait with these ingredients:
- 4 cups of organic yogurt.
- ¼ cup of strawberry fruit spread.
- ½ cup of frozen blueberries.
- 1 cup of fresh, sliced strawberries.
- ¼ cup of slivered almonds (if you aren’t bothered by eating nuts).
- ¼ teaspoon of lemon juice.
Yogurt is particularly great for anyone with Crohn’s disease because it contains probiotics, or good bacteria that help digestion and healing in the gut. Probiotics will also “eat” some of the lactose present in yogurt, which lowers the amount of lactose your body will need to digest. Yogurt is filled with protein, and it can contain calcium and potassium too. Just make sure you’re sticking to plain yogurt with active cultures and no or low added sugar.